Do you have a great business or product but no idea how to be heard amid all the noise? Often, all it takes is the ability to tell a good story. Discover some of the ways I can help you as a freelance writer in Hampshire and Sussex.
Brand narrative | Tone of voice
You can’t just be a brand these days: You have to have a sense of purpose in order to truly build and nurture loyalty. And you need to communicate this purpose in an authentic way to resonate with your tribe. It’s not just what you say, but how you say it that will make you stand out. The words you choose are as important as your logo, if not more so.
How can I help you find your voice? It boils down to me asking lots of questions, stripping back the layers and revealing the essence of what your business stands for. I’ll define your story and show you the words needed to tell it. No jargon. Just honest and intelligent words.
What you’ll receive:
- A bespoke brand narrative, outlining your why: what you’re trying to achieve and why you’re different.
- A tone of voice document that establishes how you sound to the outside world, making sure you come across as authentic. This will build trust and compel people to buy into your brand.
- Easy to use tone of voice guidelines to share with your team, ensuring all your communications – from print to digital to social – are consistent and on brand. This includes lists of good words (and ones to avoid), useful phrases and straplines
Brand storytelling | Content creation
Content means different things to different people. What content can I offer you and what will it do for your business?
- Blogs | Articles – a well written and brilliantly researched article is a powerful tool that will establish you as an expert in your field, improve your SEO and give you something to talk about on your social channels. My years of working as a business journalist have taught me to absorb complex information on any topic and turn it into engaging, clean copy – to tight deadlines. I also write opinion pieces, interviews, white papers and case studies.
- Video | Interviews – video is a hugely popular and successful way to bring your story to life. I work with professional video editors to create compelling storytelling content, including generating ideas, writing the script, advising on direction and managing the project from start to finish.
- Social media | Captions & strategy – consistent, to the point, well-written social media posts that are on brand and tell a story will boost your online following and are a must in any communications plan. I write with your audience in mind, targeting your posts to the platforms that suit your business profile. I also create content calendars and can set you up with the tools to do your own social media, if you prefer.
Copywriting | Websites
Do you find your own website boring? Are you struggling to get your message across? Or do you know exactly what you want to say but you’re too busy running your own business to put pen to paper? Or maybe your website just isn’t being found by the right people.
How can I help?
- Investing in a writer that really cares about her craft will bring your brand to life online, ensuring your website ranks highly on search engines and stands out in a crowded digital landscape.
- I provide quality SEO website copy that uses your keywords wisely, helping you reach the right people with the right message.
- Whether you need a complete overhaul of your website or your pages just need tweaking, I will make sure your copy sparkles and delivers results.
DIY PR toolkit for small businesses
A piece published in a newspaper or magazine about your business will carry more gravitas than anything you put on your own channels simply because it has been given the stamp of approval by a trusted source.
However, many small businesses and entrepreneurs can’t afford a traditional PR agency. What many don’t realise is they don’t need one. I will show you how to do your own PR by giving you the tools, tips and insight to raise your own profile in the press, for free. Yes, really.
How does it work? I will spend time with you, learn who you are, where you’re going and what you’re trying to achieve. I will then create your very own DIY PR toolkit with everything you need to start pitching stories. This will include:
- Biographies and profile pictures of key people in your business.
- Boilerplate copy that nails your business story in one concise paragraph.
- List of key messages and story ideas to work on over three, six or 12 months, which will be aligned to your social media, blogging and overall marketing strategy.
- List of publications to contact, including the relevant sections and journalists.
- Draft press release.
- Draft pitch e-mails.
- Tips on the dos and don’ts of dealing with the press.
I can also deliver this PR service for you if the DIY approach doesn’t appeal.
I’ve been a business journalist for two decades, working as a reporter on trade magazines and national newspapers, including the Daily Mail where I was retail correspondent for a number of years.
If you’re looking for a hard-working journalist who loves unravelling the truth behind complex issues, getting beyond the marketing babble and uncovering what really makes someone tick, you’ve found her.
I’m used to working to tight deadlines and nailing a brief; I’m also grateful to have amassed a bulging book of industry contacts over the years. Please get in touch to discuss any writing project – I’d love to hear from you.